Summer o' Lebanon

Josh Wilson's recap of his trip to Lebanon and other Middle East hotspots. Don't die.

Monday, June 26, 2006

I survived the flight, but the guy next to me smelled really bad

1st Post from Lebanon

I will have a second post about London with pictures later, but there is a little problem with my baggage. My baggage currently rests in the beautiful island country of Cyprus. I had a feeling that this would happen when I landed in Cyprus. The airport was very disorderly. Fortunately I have most of my valuables with me, but certain things like the USB cord that connects my camera to the computer are in my bag. I had to buy some clothes out here also, and the clothes out here are really small for the sizes. I bought a large shirt and it barely fits me. It looks like a muscle shirt. I need my clothes!! I can only suck my gut in with these tiny clothes for a little bit longer.

On a positive note, the flight out was remarkable. We flew directly over Paris, and I could see the entire city lit up. I saw the most amazing lightning storm right around Rome, and I woke up to the sunset peering over the horizon in modern day turkey. That was my favorite part. The area of modern day Turkey is historically such an important region, and seeing the horizon was fascinating. And the Mediterranean was pretty nice too.

When I arrived in Lebanon (after the sadness of not getting my luggage. Although I am not the only person whose luggage got lost. There is actually a group of around ten of us without luggage. We’ve used it as a bonding experience and have been hanging out. So it’s not all that bad.) When I arrived in Lebanon the driver was there to pick me up and he drove me straight to the school. What a culture shock driving through Lebanon. It’s somewhat similar to parts of Mexico, but you can still see some of the remnants from the civil war. There are bullet holes in some of the houses, and some building have large chunks missing. Pictures can speak much louder than words, so I will post some pictures once my baggage arrives.

The food has been great. The beach is gorgeous. And they say that we are in a very safe neighborhood. I hope to hear from all of you and I will post again soon.

P.S. Thank you to Amy for such a great time in London. I really enjoyed myself and it was a great prep for this trip to Lebanon. Have a great summer preparing for the year at Louisville.

Regards, Josh Wilson

“Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation” Khalil Gibran

3 Comments:

Blogger VJ said...

I can't believe you got there early this morning, luggage missing, wearing a muscle shirt to your first day of class. At least you don't have a huge head of hair to make you stand out for your first day. I think I remember someone telling me the worst part about shirts from abroad is not just the thing about the sizes being too small, but the necks are definitely too small. Good luck with that, Josh's head.

Hook us up with a mailing address when you get one. Do you have regular internet at the university there, too? Thanks too to you for being such good company for Amy in the UK. She had only good things to say and you kept her safe. We'll call the Jon Papelbon thing officially even now.

If you see Jabra, don't forget to use the word "kafuffle" (that's the proper spelling). Keep in touch!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Dan Gillis III said...

Stupid Cypriots, luggage stealing, Turk hating freaks!

You should march right up to them, in your tiny midget handjob shirt and start singing "Have I told you lately, that I love you..."

Im sure they'll give it back then...

11:08 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Josh-

No luggage! AAAH! Any news yet? Anyway - keep blogging. This is a great way for the family to keep in touch. Can't wait for the pictures... Any USB chord yet? Let me know if you need us to send anything - whether it be computer-wise or clothes.

Also loved your blog on London. Paul and Matt were quite frightened by a video at MOMA this past spring. Matt just shook his head and left the room. Love it!

Finally - when I was in London at 18 i proceeded to get loaded after getting off the flight and drinking warm beer. Loved every minute of it.

Donna :)

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home