Summer o' Lebanon

Josh Wilson's recap of his trip to Lebanon and other Middle East hotspots. Don't die.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

London Part 2 & Lebanon








Well, my stuff arrived and I finally have new underwear. How exciting!! This stuff is very hard, but I'm picking up on it quickly. Were not just learning new words, we have to learn the entire alphabet first. We also have a colloquial class where we are learning only to speak. It helps alot when walking around the city. We spend a lot of time walking around. This place is actually much safer than I expected. The mediterranean is gorgeous. No pictures from there yet, but we had lunch earlier at a cafe hanging over the mediterranean and looking at a landmark called the pigeon rocks. The meal was only ten dollars. Amazing!

We've stayed moslty in West Beirut, but we'll probably go downtown one of these weekends. This weekend I'm going to Damascus and Aleppo in Syria. Really, truly do not worry about me. This place is much safer than I thought it would be. The college is right next to the Prime Minister's son's house and the Saudi embassy. Security is everywhere. People do stare at us a lot though. I stick out like a sore thumb (As do most people in the program). The food here is excellent, and we are learning very quickly it's all been great.

I also have some pictures from London as part of this. The one in the park is part of regents park. There are people playing sports everywhere and there are also beautiful gardens. This picture i was taking and a soccer ball rolled right through. All in all it was a great trip. I have homework to finish and its 11:00 at night. I cant believe I'm in an 8:00 am colloquial class. So when you're partying at 10:00 pm know that I am speaking Arabic in a far away land.

Live from Lebanon
Josh Wilson

2 Comments:

Blogger VJ said...

Josh, those aren't those knight statues on the floor from the "Da Vinci Code," are they? What a nerd!

4:45 PM  
Blogger pryorlorentz said...

Josh! This is very exciting indeed. Jorge made me awares of your travels and I'm enjoying these posts very much.
Is that you or your non-union, English equivalent in the behind shot because the producers didn't actually want to fly you out to London?
Keep on postin' and we'll keep on readin'. Give reggae master Joseph J. a kiss for me.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home