Summer o' Lebanon

Josh Wilson's recap of his trip to Lebanon and other Middle East hotspots. Don't die.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

What a morning

The heavy attacks started at around 3:00 am. The first call to prayer is at right around the same time. They are attacking a little bit south of our location. Probably around 1-2 miles from where we are. You could here the jets flying overhead, the sound of the anti-aircraft, and the explosion of the bombs. It was surreal to hear the call to prayer while all of this is going on. The call to prayer is done live, so the person doing this was hearing everything going on and continuing the call to prayer. It's one of the most memorable experiences of my life. The area being attacked is mostly Palestinian camps. The palestinians we met at the beach live here. I pray that they were able to stay safe. I've never experienced anything like this. You could see the anti-aircraft fire (It's a light red color) from the window. Some of the explosions seem to be vey close and a few of them shake the building. We are going to be evacuated to the Byblos campus of LAU at around 12:00 noon (4 am PST) My personal safety is still not a major concern to me. Beirut is one of the most beautiful cities i've ever been in, and now the infrastructure is being obliterated. This is Mish ma3quul (unbelievable). I'll never forget this experience. As I'm writing this I'm finding out that we are no longer being evacuated. I'll try to keep you updated.

Peace and love
Josh

addendum - We are going to Byblos at about 1:00pm. The drive should take 40 minutes or so. Today is friday. And friday in the muslim world is the day that they go to the mosques. I'm not worried about the drive, but it should be interesting to see people of prayer reacting to this war.

9 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

josh,
your frequent posts help those of us far away and worried about you. thanks for being in touch during this chaotic moment. i cannot imagine what this experience must be like for you, although i am certain if it were me, i would be freaking out big time, and maybe already home by now if i could have managed it.
lots of people are asking about you and we're fillling them in.
we're thinking about you.

11:53 PM  
Blogger VJ said...

I could never pass up an opportunity to toot my own horn. I'm glad I suggested and help set up this blog for you. If it wasn't for this, we'd all be like Lebron James, biting our fingernails down to the nub.

It sounds crazy over there. You're like Wolf Blitzer as the embedded reporter, but much, much less telegenic. Keep us posted, JFEW. Bowled tonight with amy and thought of you!

12:09 AM  
Blogger pryorlorentz said...

1) right on with Amy - thank you for the continued posts and especially for your reflective composure which helps inspire a bit more calm in us.

2) right on, Jorge - thanks to both of you fine gentlemen for setting this up.

3) I guess that right around now is when you will have been evacuated and transported, so that's a bit of relief. As I've heard, the power stations are getting hit but I'd imagine that some sort of telephone/cell phone access would be available should computer/blog access become a non-option. Perhaps in that event you can contact Jorge and he can post comments for you to keep us updated.

peace and prayers, brother~

5:57 AM  
Blogger pryorlorentz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Dan Gillis III said...

And I thought the bleachers at the Dodgers game were dangerous...

7:30 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Josh-

It is good to hear that you are safe. Sara - if you could let us all know EVERY TIME you talk to Josh it would be wonderful.

Once again - are there plans on how to get out of the country if the time comes? Let us know.

Paul said a rosary for you last night. You know if I did God would have a heart attack. :) Be safe and we love you very much.

Donna

9:10 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Be safe, Mr. Wilson. Come back soon. It's 2 for $3 double cheeseburgers at Rally's, and you know what that means.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jess Card said...

You dont know me man, but I saw your blogsite on Anderson Cooper's website. My friends are paying very close attention to the situation in Israel and Lebanon and you are certainly in our prayers. We will pray for you specifically tonight.

Peace, love, grace and courage.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Sheryn said...

I'm with Jess. You don't know me but I saw your blog on AC360s blog comments.

Please take care. I'll visit your site often to read your updates.

My prayers are with you.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home