Summer o' Lebanon

Josh Wilson's recap of his trip to Lebanon and other Middle East hotspots. Don't die.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Get me to a chopper

Well, the evacuation should happen in the next few days. People are saying that Thursday should be the absolute last day that we are here. I'm excited about donating a bunch of my clothes to the people of Lebanon. I need a new wardrobe anyways. And I bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker gold label in Syria that I was hoping to bring back to a bunch of the uncles, but the only let you take one small bag with you. I guess that means I'll have to drink it on my own. I will be going to class tomorrow, and I am excited to continue to learn.

We played soccer and basketball today which was fun, but we are confined to the campus. I am sad to be leaving these people soon, but I look forward to seeing all of you back in the states. We continue to watch Lebanon getting bombed, but I just can't talk about it anymore. I hope this post finds all of you doing well. Hope to see you soon.

Peace and love
Josh

PS If you could call your congressperson, and say something about the American citizens in Lebanon having to pay money it could help many of us out here who do not want to worry about money. All of the other embassies have been and continue to evacuate their citizens for no charge. (French, British, Swiss, Dutch, etc...)

7 Comments:

Blogger pryorlorentz said...

Man, a nation of cheapskates. Here's a link for anyone who wants to make a call or send an irate email.

It won't exactly be Miss Saigon but sparing the theatrics will be worth the safe exit.
Seriously.

Megan and I will be back in San Francisco by August 25th and we'll make a trip to LA shortly thereafter. Hopefully we can take you out to dinner and a hookah -
peace

5:46 PM  
Blogger VJ said...

glad to hear it. sherman's going to hear about this!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Dan Gillis III said...

There's gonna be a BBQ waiting for you at the LaSalle.

So come home and let's party!

And please don't worry about clothes, i have a bunch of tiny shirts you can borrow.

As for a hasty escape that will not be a burden on your wallet, I prepose the following:

1. Make use of the monocle, ascot and tophat that you purchased whilst in London.
2. While wearing said attire, approch an English chopper and say the follow, "Alright, lads, let's get this whirly-bird into the great blue. Me and the boys at the Wilson Manor have polo match at half-past."
3. Pull out your pocket watch and take a sip from a bloody mary and non-chalantly step on to the chopper.
4. Exit the country and enjoy life as British aristocrat.

10:54 AM  
Blogger VJ said...

I was working the phones this morning. Called Harman, Waters, Sherman, and Waxman. They all lodged my complaints about the cost and most were at least nice enough to pretend like they were equally outraged. Sherman's guy said that he knew they would probably be using the british choppers, but didn't think they would be charging.

Anyway, nothing new to report, except that I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Josh-

I just returned from Vegas. I had a few drinks in honor of you! Anyway - don't worry about the whiskey - it's not like any of your uncles need the stuff! I am sure they are more than willing to get you pie eyed when you are safely returned.

I will be on the phone tomorrow to congress people. Good ole U.S. I bet if there was a democrat in office you would not be charged! ;)

By the way - I like your friend Dan's advise. What a character. AND - love the pictures of you not looking too worried. Looks like a great group of people. The bombing pictures are scary... Be safe.

Love-
Donna

7:33 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Josh,

(Thank you to "pryorlorentz" for the link information.) I sent the following to my 3 reps and as many others I could copy and paste to. I hope they will repond! I will be on the phone tomorrow.

Ms. Feinstein,(Boxer, Gallegy)

My nephew, Joshua Wilson, is currently in Lebanon. He saved years in order to attend university to learn middle eastern languages. Now that the conflict has begun, he has been informed that he will have to pay for his safe evacuation and passage outside of the zone. I find this disgusting! All of the other countries putting together evacuations are not charging their citizens! Do we not care about the safety of our own?

I am a Democrat as your are. Our compassion should be shown. Joshua chose to go to a country and learn just part of Middle Eastern culture, customs, and language in order to understand the world a little more. Do we not want to support the younger generation that is willing to communicate and live in a peaceful world?

I hope you will find the time to respond to me and give me information as to how I can help my nephew. Since he is a teacher, his income is very low. He should not be worrying about how he is going to pay back his own country.

With respect,

Donna Mockenhaupt

8:09 PM  
Blogger pryorlorentz said...

Hey everyone

here's CNN's story covering the student evacuation from Lebanon to Cyprus and . (Be sure to check the video link from that page.)

Thanks to Josh's fam for all the updates along the way -

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home